Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rename a Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncgis

MIS
Apr 9, 2004
US
I have two hard drives in a SunBlade. I need to name one of the drives to u01. I have vi the etc/vfstabs file and tried to rename the file there...but whenever I reboot the Sun the drives does not mount...it gives the error 'No mount point found for u01' Does anyone have any suggestions of how to rename the drive?

The entries in /etc/vfstab point to devices in /dev/rdsk and /dev/dsk. The entries in the /dev directory are soft links to /devices... Usually a software package like Disk Suite create new links in the /dev directory. Disk Suite creates md (metadevice) disk names. I guess you could try to create a soft link in /dev/rdsk and /dev/dsk that points to the proper /devices entry. Never tried it.

You need a empty directory to mount to you need to create a mount point. As root type mkdir /u01 if you have that created and it still is not mounting then there is another other issue at hand.

thanks for responding...I made the u01 directory and the hard drive mounted

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back