Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing XP Pro and replacing with Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasaniDrinker

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
US
Hello Everyone

I work for a hospital who has some old software that they just don't want to get rid of. Unfortunately, this software is critical in getting funding from various gov't organizations on a weekly basis. With that said, I recently purchased several new replacement pc's to run this software more efficiently and they came with with XP Pro. installed. To my surprise (not really), the old 16-bit software does not work. I contacted the software company and they do not support my OS on this older version of software. Now, my bosses are telling me that they would rather not upgrade the software right now (too pricey), couldn't I just remove XP Prof. and install Windows 98 on the new systems?

The systems are Dell's Dimension 4500s' with NTFS 20 GB hard drives. My questions are:

1. How do I go about removing XP and installing 98, just format the sucker and repartition?

2. Will Office XP work with Windows 98?

3. Will Win98 see the entire 20 GB Hard Drive.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I am sure this is easy. And, I would rather not destroy the inner workings of these fine machines! But money is money...

Thanks!

Have you tried the compatability modes? I haven't found anything that won't work on XP yet.

1 yes
2 I think so, not tried it.
3 yes Peter Meachem
peter @ accuflight.com

You can run Office XP on Win 98 with no problems, I use it on some of the PC's at work.

Try the compatability mode first though that the guy above has suggested, will be a lot simpler than formatting.

Naiku

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the software runs on our server. The shortcut will not allow you to run "compatibility modes" since it points to a network drive.

Thanks for the tips!

I've removed XP and installed 98 on Dell PC's before. It does work.

I used a 98 boot disk to fdisk/format the HD and everything was peachy from there on out.

I would try the comaptibility mode as suggested, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back