Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing WINNT folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRen13

Technical User
Dec 9, 2004
US
I recently had my system crash on me and had to re-install XP (Home Edition). In doing so I mistakenly installed it again in the same partition. In removing the corrupt version thought I eliminated all the old folders that were associate with it. However, I failed to remove the WINNT folder, which I now have a WINDOWS on the newer version. I am trying to delete the folder but have been unable to do so. I removed all of the contents and yet on the propeties it still show the folder to contain 385MB and 100 folders!! Anyone got any advice?

. Start by using Folder Options, View, and enable "show all hidden files and folders" and disable "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"

. If you upgraded from Win2k to XP;
. and, If you did a Repair/Upgrade reinstallation other than a clean installation of XP;

The directory c:\WINNT is XP, and do not touch it.
See:
How to remove a second installation of Windows

Unfortunately, an Upgrade from Win2k to XP does not offer a revert process as it does for Win9x.

bcastner-
Just so we are on the same page it was a clean install that allowed for the duplicated folders.
As it stands, the new folder that was created (WINDOWS) is an exact copy of the old WINNT folder minus the programs that I had installed on my machine. All of my programs and neccessary operations seem to pulling from the WINDOWS folder. In trying to remove the WINNT folder I have already removed the system32 folders and nothing everything is running perfect.
Any thoughts

This looks like will do the trick. I'll give it a try and once again...thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back