Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Windows Games: PERMANENTLY!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgarlock

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
US
I would like to know how to remove all the Windows games, that comes with Win9x. I know that I can use the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup, and uncheck them there, but someone could easily use that method to add them back. How can I permanently delete the games from Windows? Which CAB file are they in?

Thanks for any help,

Bruce Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

As long as the users have access to the cab files, they will be able to change the system anytime they want.

Whenever I am rolling out new PCs, I remove all the restore info that is loaded on the hard-drive, and I also physically delete the program files that I do not want them to be able to use.

You can also install the windows policy editor, and use it to enforce your setups.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your help! I'm not much of a windows guy - I'm a Linux / Unix admin, so where do I find the policy editor? Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

The policy editor is located on any windows cd, the file name is poledit.exe, and this will give you many upon many options to limit what a user can do in Windows.

If the users don't know about tweakui, this is a simpler tool that lets you easitly customize Windows. This is found on a Windows 98 cd (they took it off the second edition cd, though tweakui works with both). You can also download it from microsoft, though I don't know a link where. With tweakui, it shows up as an icon in the control panel, and from this one of the options you can customize is which icons show in the control panel, and you can just deselect Add/Remove Programs.

Of course you can always go back into tweakui and make it reappear again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back