Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing this Http Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

silicon

Programmer
Aug 13, 2002
US
Hi All,

Our application does not use any of the following Http Modules.

WindowsAuthentication
PassportAuthentication
AnonymousIdentification
FileAuthorization
UrlAuthorization
OutputCache

By default these Http modules are enabled in machine.config file,

If we configure web.config to remove this Http Module, can there be improvement in the performance of application.

Also let me know,how can I measure the performance gain?

I have added the below lines in web.config file of our application and tested in local environment.

Application is working fine.

<system.web>

<HttpModules>

<!-- Remove unnecessary Http Modules for faster pipeline -->

<remove name="WindowsAuthentication" />

<remove name="PassportAuthentication" />

<remove name="AnonymousIdentification" />

<remove name="UrlAuthorization" />

<remove name="FileAuthorization" />

<remove name="OutputCache"/>

</httpModules>

Please let me know is it recommended to remove the unused HttpModules.Will there be any performance gain?

have you tried this? since you need to know you should be testing this yourself.

is there a performance problem with the initial startup? If not, what does it matter if they are loaded or not.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Thanks jmeckley for reply.

Yes,there is performance problem.
In few of screen "operation time out" message comes.
But i have checked the application with and without this configuration ,I didn't noticed any performance gain.
Is there any tool by using we can measure the performance gain?

btw. all these modules would be utilized either at startup or with every request. so if the times are sparatic, this is not your problem.

there are some standard places where bottlenecks occur.
1. not properly disposing of components. this is very common with file streams and ado.net connections/commands
2. poor sql statements/database indexing.

I have found the best way to manage my datbase connections is using a unit of work approach. each request is a unit of work. at the begining of the request I open a connection and begin a transaction. I store this in the context. each time I need to execute a command i pull the connection from the context. at the end of the request I commit the transaction if no errors are thrown and dispose of the connection. in the web world this is also known as session per request.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back