Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

removing the version information for Sendmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb42

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
CA
When you telnet to port 25 on an AIX machine running Sendmail, the default greeting message includes the Sendmail version number. I'd like to remove the version information number from the greeting string. How can I go about doing this?

If you go to your sendmail.cf file and modify the following line, you are supposed to be able to modify your banner. On my Linux system it installs in the /etc directory.

VERSIONID(`@(#)mailserver.mc 1.0 (yourdomain.com) 5/1/97')

pansophic

Thanks for your help. Although the lines within sendmail.cf that you identified were Linux specific, I was able to find out what the equivalent lines were for an AIX machine. [smile]

And it was wrong too, since he said he found it. I didn't say anything but it should be the line,
O SmtpGreetingMessage

If it is set to "=$j" then, no greeting banner will be displayed but your hostname.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back