Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing the Terminal Services role from 2003 SBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuupton

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2005
GB
We have just taken over a small company and they have a 2003 SBS, this has been set up to be everything, what we want to do is to remove the TS function from this server and put in a new TS server, I am just a little concerned about removing the role from the SBS as all the instructions I see tell me that once I remove a server function I need to reinstall all software on the server, is this the case? any help that can be offered would be grately receved, or if anyone knows if it is possible to divert all incominf TS connections to our new TS server as opposed to our SBS that would be great.

Thanks

Stuart

SBS 2003 Can't have the terminal services application mode role installed! it may have remote administration mode enabled but it is not possible to use terminal services in application mode on 2003 SBS REF the following article if somebody has been using it as a terminal server they have;

1) only 2 users at a time
2) a major security issue

or possibly 3) messed with windows some how really badly to get over the 2 user limit.

I would suggest that you don't worry about disabling the role as it is a very useful tool for remote administration but look into how the users have been allowed permission to log on using remote desktop and remove that access when you implement the new terminal server. you will probably find the users are member of domain admins and remote desktop users but there may be a couple of other places in the omain controller security policy you should look.

If it has been used this way i suggest you go through the security with a fine toothcomb and run every spyware / antivirus scan you can find.

Hope this helps

Skr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back