Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing the Read-only file attribute... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirnehator

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2009
CA
hello,

I'm looking for some help to remove the Read-only attribute on a file or a folder of files within my documents.

When i right click and choose properties i can uncheck the Read-only attribute and apply it. but it will keep returning for some unknown reason.

any ideas??? i would appreciate any input :)

i was told it may have something to do with taking ownership of the files or folders. but only find the inheritance options within the XP pro machines and not on the home editions.

any help is appreciate. thanks you.

The filled in (not checked) box for read-only signifies NTFS permissions. If you're having trouble accessing a file or folder, the problem is the NTFS permissions, not the read only attribute.

i sometimes have issues moving files around on my xp pro machine when i'm backing up, and the error message i'm getting is related to the read-only attribute. so i thought it might have something to do with that.

To access the Security Tab in XP Home you need to be in Safe Mode. In XP Pro you have to turn off "Simple File Sharing via Folder Options/ View.

Do you still have the Read-only problem?

thanks linney, that was just what i was looking for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back