Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing switch out of LAN segment into router with WIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerako

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2012
US
Hi Everyone,
I'm just wondering what the configuration on a Cisco 2811 would look like to remove a switch that is sitting between a pair of clustered firewalls and a Cisco 2811 FE port currently?

Looks like this currently. Firewall cluster spoofs MAC address in the event of a failure. Both firewalls patch into a SOHO switch that is than connected to the Cisco router. I figure removing another single point of failure would be optimal.

FW1 <--->SOHO switch Port1<--->Cisco2811 FE0/1
FW2 <--->SOHO switch Port2
192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2

I would like to remove the SOHO switch and connect the firewall cluster directly to the router. I've purchased and installed a 2 Port FE WIC, but not sure on where to assign an IP and get both of the ports to work together as a standard switch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

I don't think you can do a "switchport" on those WIC interfaces.

The WIC you need is an "ESW". I think you can get a 4-port one for the 2800. Or a 9-port one.

==> Firewall cluster spoofs MAC address in the event of a failure

What are you using for a firewall and in what fail over mode? ASA in Active / Standby?

Can you setup a L3 etherchannel with HSRP on the 2811? If the FW is setup as A/S then it might work. I've only done something like this in a lab using the built-in interfaces (not on a 2811) where it worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back