Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing SMS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxie

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2002
GB
I have inherited a corrupted site and I need to do a complete reinstall. I figured I would pick a new server and site name while I was at it.

Does anyone know of any good resources on how to painlessly remove SMS.

As far as I can workout, first I must remove the client then remove sms. However, will this remove sms from my other dc's?

What are the main dangers in uninstalling a site?

Any help would be great.

Regards

download the sms 2.0 support tools from
install it. On your network logon script add the lines that will launch this with the /scrub command. This is the best way I have found to perform an uninstall of the client. The other two uninstall executables and .bat's don't work well.

If you are doing a complete site rebuild and renaming you don't need to uninstall the client and reinstall it on all your machines. They will be reassigned to the new site server (I learned this the hard way).

Hope this helps.

-J

Thanks, I'll give that a try. What sbout removing the server end? Do i just run the uninstall from the cd?

Actually just run the setup that is already on there and it will give you the option to completely remove SMS and all components.

HI!! Looks like I'm kinda in the same boat. My manager setup an SMS 2.0 server and "let it fly". Didn't document much and didn't back up anything. It lasted about 3 months and then the HD went to lunch and forgot to come back. The "problem" was put on my desk to fix.
I have been trying to wade through the Admin guide, a book on Administering SMS and the SMS Installer book. What I really need to do is get everything off my network and then do it the right way.
We have a BDC at a remote site that is acting as a "secondary" SMS server that used to send info to the one that died.
Short of walking around to over 300 work stations and then about 12 servers, what is the fastest and easiest way to clean up my network??
I really can use some help on this.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your help all. Everything came off and went back on with a nw site code. The SMS is Dead, Long Live the SMS :) Now you are gonna tell me not to use sp4!

Sei373, You shouldn't have to walk around to the workstations. Just mod the login script (see Jeremy750 above) and that will remove the client. I think if you run the uninstall from the install cd on the secondary it should remove the services on the other servers (I think, but don't quote me on that). But I'm sure that there is someone here who knows better.

Ta.
------------
Toxie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back