Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Sid from Domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robros

Programmer
May 22, 2001
US
Is there a way to remove the sid for a machine from AD in windows 2000 I added a machine to the domain that I should not have.
How do I go about removing its SID from the domain....

Your Al Meyers Kid..You Look Pretty Stupid To me.

you need to use Administrative Tools through the MMC to access the user/computer accounts/objects in that AD domain

You cannot remove the SID. You delete the computer object from active directory users and computers, and after about 90 days, windows will purge it from the AD Database in a process called "tombstoning" (think WINS).

You can use A utility called SYSPREP.EXE. It will remove the sid from the chosen machine. Have a good one.

If you don't' want that machine to be able to log onto the domain, go back and tell it that it belongs to a workgroup.

When you joined it to the domain, a computer account was generated in active directory. Delete or dissable that account.

Note: even if a computer isn't a member of the domain, it can still get a DHCP address and register itself with DNS and WINS. It just can't access domain resources.

thanks to everyone for the input we just switched over to Ad so I am learning as I go

Your Al Meyers Kid..You Look Pretty Stupid To me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back