Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Service Pack 2 from XP Pro machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaa69

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
US
Is it safe or is there anything I need ot be aware of for removing Service Pack 2 from an XP box? Certain applications are having trouble running because of a bad DLL. Particularly doing a print job out of Fox pro Ver. 7. When it goes to print we blue screen. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I'm covering for Net Admin on Vacation.

Vegas Baby Vegas

Hi,
If you set a Restore Point before installing SP2, it should be OK if you restore back to that point.
The Uninstall may work as well but the Restore may be more effective..

[profile]

System Restore is not a backup utility, or a State Save. Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, click to "Show updates" at the top, and use the Service Pack 2 uninstall routine.

The Auto Recovery only works if the installation had failed or was stopped for some reason.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

Some reading for you.

Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

875355 - How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

878454 - How to help protect your computer if you decide to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2

I should add that System Restore while not the preferred method of removing SP2, seemed to handle it without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back