Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Reverse DNS Lookup on Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKent

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2001
US
HELP!
I enabled the Reverse DNS on my Exchange 2003 server because of the number of SPAM we were getting hit with. It seemed to take care of the SPAM, but some people were complaining that they weren't receiving all their internet mail. I chalked it up to the fact that they didn't have a RDNS. Well when we saw that big companies like SBC was being refused, it got our attention.
OK so I was told to remove the reverse DNS. So I went back into the exchange server and unclicked everything that I clicked and it is acting like it is still using Reverse DNS lookup. I have stopped and restarted the SMTP server and rebooted the exchange server a couple times and I am still having the same problem. Does it take an inordinate amount of time to stop refusing email. Am I doing something wrong? It should be a no brainer issue, Guess not though!!!

SMTP virual server and global settings. But I have found a Microsoft article that explained that enabling reverse dns does not act as a spam catcher in Exchange 2003 like it does in other mail applications and Exchange 5.5. It just inserts the return address in the header for it to be processed with the connection filter. It led me to the sender id filter which I also enabled. This is part of Exchange 2003 SPAM catcher. I guess there was a security patch for it before you enabled it. What was Microsoft thinking. Well I don't know if it will fix it, but hopefully I can get it from Microsoft support without much hassle. You have to contact them and possible end of payingt buku bucks for their support to get something that should have been sent down the pike on an update. Oh Well I guess this is Uncle Bill's way of saying Merry Christmas ..

I've NEVER had to pay for a support call if I was just calling for a hotfix. I've always had them within 5 minutes. And I've called dozens of times for hotfixes.

And the reason why it's not in an update is because either there isn't enough people with the problem, or it just hasn't been thoroughly regression tested yet. Many of those hotfixes end up becoming updates or part of a service pack.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thanks 58sniper. I contacted Support and they mailed me the hotfix. There was such a great warning on installing it, that I was a little apprehensive about doing it since this machine was in production. I opted to call support and it wasn't a RDNS issue. It was something to do with the Sender ID filter. It took support nearly four hours, but it is working like it should. There were some configurations that had to be changed; some from over 2 years ago that were made by out consultants when they built the server. But now I can use all the SPAM inhibitors and our people are happy again ...

Hey Guys,

I think I may be experiencing the same problem. I enabled the RDNS as well. Now my end users can send outside the organization, but can not receive from outside the Organization at all. I deselected the RDNS box and rebooted, but no change in the problem.

SKent can you e-mail me a link or the hotfix MS gave you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back