Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Outlook Express Links from SP3 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

astull

MIS
Oct 16, 2002
US
I am in the testing phase of a SP3 for Windows 2000 rollout. (I know im way behind), however i am having difficulty removing the outlook express links from the start menu and quicklaunch bar. I have tried setting the hklm\software\microsoft\active setup\installed components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}\StubPath to "-" or " " or just deleting the key alltogether, but nothing seems to work. I guess the last resort would be to create a startup script for EVERYONE, but that would be a pain. Unless anyone has any other suggestions.

PS: SP4 is not an option yet.

thanks,
A

For the Quicklaunch, go to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch and apply to every user needed.

For the start menu try this start\settings\taskbar and start menu\advanced\remove (the desired folder or application) Make sure that you have admin rights.

Let me know is this helped.

that would work, the shortcuts are all gone for all users, However.... I am now getting a message when I open Outlook 2000 stating that "Outlook requires Outlook Express 4.01 or greater.." After clicking OK to this message Outlook 2000 opens and seems to work ok. But every time I open Outlook I get the message. I was sure this would work, because when you look at the add remove programs / windows components, Outlook Express .. it specifically says that this check box "adds or removes access to Outlook Express from the start menu" What a ripoff! Microsoft SUCKS! any suggestions.

Open up in your IE\Tools\windows update\ select office update. That should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back