Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Options from classic Start Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitinsharma0007

Technical User
Dec 22, 2004
IN
Hi,

I have windows XP and whenever i install new programs they are added to the upper part of the start menu. I mean above the Programs options I want Programs to be on the top i.e., the first option from the top when i click on the start button.

I am using windows XP in classic mode.

Thanks.

You can delete any of the shortcuts above 'programs' (just right click on one and select delete). Not all apps put an entry in there btw.

PS - have you tried using the dual list XP start menu - I find the 'most used list' useful - especially after setting it to small icons and keeping up to 12 entries.

In Classic Start Menu the top part of the Start Menu is a Representative view of the following folders -

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu, or the logged on user's Start Menu folder.

Besides a folder called Programs it only contains shortcuts to other folders, files or programs. These shortcuts can be deleted, moved, renamed etc. by right-clicking on the actual Start Menu or by working in the above mentioned Start Menu folders.

The folder within the Start Menu folder and called Programs is however a Systems folder which cannot be moved or deleted from within Windows. This is normally where your installed programs shortcuts reside. If all (most) of your programs are not being installed there but appearing above the Programs (folder) on the Start Menu (and therefore also loose in the Start Menu folders instead of in the Programs folder) then something is not quite right.

Before I waffle on any further can you confirm (or clarify) my understanding of your problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back