Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing NetBios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mober

Technical User
Jul 23, 2008
US
I am trying to disable NetBios on all my 2003 server and XP computers. When I disable NetBios in the network properties I am unable to find any of my computers/server in the Domain. I have verfied that forward and reverse dns are working, and after looking at enough Wireshark traffic there are alot of Netbios requests going around. How do I tell my computers to use DNS and still find my machines?

in your DNS, make sure your client are appending the hostnames with the domain name to b able to see it as a FQDN netbios allows you to user sername instead of servername.domain.com

Configuring DHCP option for removing Netbios

If you use DFS without netbios, this is helpful:

Connecting to NetBIOS Resources Using DNS Names or IP Addresses

Sorry I meant to say was after disabling netbios the machine that I disabled netbios on is unable to see other computers in the network using My network places, also none of our copiers can see the same system.

Unfortunately, My Network Places utilizes Netbios.

As far as the copiers, (not a confirmed answer) they can be considered legacy devices which also require netbios, unless it has an updated firmware for network DNS support; which most new models do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back