Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

removing names in add or remove programs in WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

99Durango

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
CA
I need a bit of help on this.
How can you get rid of redundant names of programs in add or remove when it wont uninstall because of missing files?
I'm not really sure what to look for in the regisrty either.

The location in the registry for installed programs is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Be aware that changing settings in the registry can cause serious system errors if you are not careful.
On a side note, Regclean is no longer supported by Microsoft (the publishers of the program) so I'm not sure how well it works with XP.
MCSE, A+

btw you want the PowerTools, not the Regcleaner from the jv16 site (PowerTools has a registry cleaner - its updated and better version than Regcleaner).

- X-setup, has many tweaks - including editing add/remove programs list.

I don't know if its the same for XP, but TweakUI in Windows 98 had the option to remove entries from the Add\Remove Programs list.

thatrenowned - no its gone from XP's tweakui (also from 2k, old tweakui which works on 98 & 2k has the option on 98 but not on 2k).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back