Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing lines for blank fields and advance to next record

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatteris

Technical User
Jan 11, 2003
GB
I have been producing simple club address lists for some time using Access 2003 and the Report Design tool. Each entry uses two lines followed by a blank. Now many people are requesting data such as mobile phone numbers and multiple e-mail addresses. In my present design this would mean that most records would need two lines per entry and some six lines. I wish to delete blank lines and advance to the next record. I think I can use 'Can Shrink' control but cannot see how to jump to next record. This seems trivial but cannot find any useful threads.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

The jumping to the next record is automatic. All you have to do is make sure all the contols have null values (including labels) for that line if the data is null.

Then set the can shrink property for the controls AND the section to yes. The catch is that the whitespace you put between the lines will not shrink away.

In this type of scenario I use text boxes for my would be labels with control source something like the following:

Code:
=IIF(isnull([email1]),Null, "Email:")

I also sometimes will set the can grow properties and make the controls as short as possible. This seems to help in some situations.

Also have a look at the following in Access help:
MoveLayout NextRecord PrintSection

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Thanks lameid and genomon. With my present knowledge your replies don't mean a lot but they have given me a valuable direction which I needed.

Back to work chatters!!

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back