Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing heatsinks glued to memory chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
I have a Radeon 9800 that is currently using the default air-cooling that it came with. The central fan is surrounded by memory chips that are covered by heatsinks (glued onto the chips) that are independant from the fan.
Since I have a watercooling solution for my CPU, before actually buying the card, I purchased the heat exchanger component that was said to go with it.
Obviously, when the card arrived, I found that I had forgotten to take into account the memory heatsinks. My bad.
So now I have a good card that makes (an acceptable amount of) noise, and an expensive heat exchanger that is unused. If the memory heatsinks were not there, it would be a perfect fit though.
Is there a way to remove the heatsinks from the memory chips without risking their destruction ?

Pascal.

You may risk asking to the ATI folks. It depends on the type of glue that was used for those heatsinks. If there are heatsinks on the memory chips, you will need to find a way to cool these parts too after removing their heatsinks.

I realize I was not entirely clear about the heat exchanger. The reason why I need to do away with the RAM heatsinks is because the watercooling module covers the RAM chips also.
So right now, there is absolutely no way to install it.

Contact ATI - yep, I should have thought of that. Thanks for the reminder.

Pascal.

YOu may very well get the answer here, but if not they try one of the overclockers forums. These guys know all those tricks, just amazing.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back