Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing existing ftpd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinkick

ISP
Apr 15, 2001
US
I want to install proftpd on my server, but I need to first remove my existing ftp daemon. Could someone direct me on how to do this? Thanx

I do very little with ftp but I think you just need to remove it's entry in the /etc/inetd.conf file and replace it with an entry for your new program. If your running it as a daemon instead of through inetd, you can just remove the startup script from /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/ and any of the other run level directories under rc.d.

I believe that should do what you need.

Good luck,
GJ

Hmm... Is there any way to jail users to their directory by configuring some existing files? I don't want to have to learn a new program... I am running FreeBSD...
I want users to think they are in their own file systems and prevent them from getting higher in the directory tree.

Yes you can jail a use to his/her root folder

cat /etc/passwd |grep user1

uesr1:x:103:1::/home/user1/./:/bin/false

placing the chroot syntax /./ at the end of the users users directory will "jail" that user. Basically they can not go any higher in the filesystem.

adding /bin/false keeps thme from logging in via telnet

-Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back