Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Duplicates to Make New Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talgo

Technical User
Nov 27, 2003
US
I have a table called ImpJobID which has been records imported from an Excel spreadsheet. It contains two fields called JobID & Description. When the table is imported from Excel, one JobID can appear multiple times in the ImpJobID table.

I would like to remove the duplicates using VBA & create a new table only containing one record for each JobID. So, if a JobID is in the ImpJobID table 5 times, I only want to show it once in the new table. Likewise, if a JobID is in the ImpJobID table once, then it should appear once in the new table.

I'm not sure how to go about this. Can anyone make a suggestion?

Look into an Update Query with the JobId as a key field in hte New table. Many overlook the feature of an update query in this type of operation, so you may need recourse to the ubiquitous {F1} (a.k.a. HELP) to grasp some of the details.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Hi Michael,

I tried your suggestion but can not get it to work. I always get zero rows updated.

The only way I can get an update to work is when there are JobIDs in the new table's JobID field. However, my new table will not contain any JobID information initially. It's a blank table.

I'm trying to extact that info from the ImpJobID table into the new DB. However,the ImpJobID table contains the same JobID number multiple times. I want the JobID number to only appear once in the new table.

What am I doing wrong? Is an SQL SELECT DISTINCT statement a possible alternative?

Michael,

I think I finally sorted this out myself. After some Help research & trial and error here's the solution I came up with:

Used a Make Table Query
Set the query property for Unique Values to "yes"
Established a query on the ImpJobID table
Set the Criteria in the query to "JobID"

Result: New table with desired fields & no duplicate records

I think setting the Unique Values property to "yes" is the same as the SQL SELECT DISTINCT statement. At least it seems to function that way.

Thanks for your help.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back