Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing duplicate rows from a table - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

1qazxc

IS-IT--Management
Sep 2, 2004
CA
Hi, I have some new tasks that I am looking help for. It seems that other vendors are selling these Excel Add-ons if you will that claim to Remove duplicate rows from a table. I know this is a scam because Excel does this but i need to know how.
For example;

What I need to do is remove the horizontal rows that have the same data. Seems simple enough and I really hope someone can help me.

Thank You!

Hi 1qazxc,

It isn't really a scam - you need a program to perform a function - you can't write it yourself - so you use someone else's which you may or may not need to purchase first.

In the case of deduplication and/or identifying of duplicate data there are many possibilities and, whilst what you want may be relatively simple (though beyond you apparently [smile]), what someone else wants may be more complex. In case you're wondering, no, I don't have a product to sell.

The Advanced Filter is probably the tool to use for your requirements - it can give you a deduplicated copy of your data - follow the instructions in the dialog.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at [url=http://www.vbaexpress.

if you want to use excel to do it:
1 determin what col have the data is "duplicat"
2 if it is multiple cols the insert a col in A and conctinate the cols.
3 sort by col A
4 insert an new col A
5 in A2 insert the formula if b1=b2,0,1,false
6 now look for all the 0 in col A. They are the duplicates of the row above.

Hopefully you know you can copy and past values and then just sort Col A and delete the 0
Good luck

There is an option in Excel and Tony has already pointed you in the direction of it - It's called Advanced Filter and is found under Data / Filter. One of the options is called 'Unique Records Only' and from your text will do exactly as you wanted. You choose 'copy to another location' in conjunction with unique records only.

Regards
Ken............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back