Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing drives from RAID array

Status
Not open for further replies.

watts428

MIS
Aug 29, 2000
US
I have a Netfinity 5600 with RAID 5. It had four 36.4 Gb drives, but was running out of space. I installed 2 more 36.4Gb drives. I was told by IBM to use the "Increase Free Space" in Serveraid Manager. This created some space, but can only be used by creating another logical drive. This is not what I wanted to do. I wanted to create space on the existing logical drives. I think I was supposed to use the option "Increasing logical Drive Space". My question is whether I can remove the 2 drives from the array and then put them back using the correct option?

No, once you do either the add free space or add to existing logical drive you can not go back. The only way to change it once it is done would be to back up your data, delete your existing arrays and recreate then the way you want and reload the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back