Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing Detail Columns from a Cross-Tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltumTech

Technical User
Feb 23, 2001
US
Can anyone help me figure out how to remove detail columns from a cross-tab report. The real problem is that I have a cross-tab report that contains two columns of data. Fiscal Year and Program. With Program being a subset of each FY. My cross-tab report looks like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------
| fy2002 | fy 2001 | Total |
----------------------------------------------------| |
| Prog1 | Prog2 | Total | Prog1 | Prog2 | Total | |
------------------------------------------------------------------|-----------
area1 | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$$ |
area2 | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$$ |
area3 | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$$ |
area4 | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$$ |
area5 | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$$ |
totals | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$ | $$$$$$ | $$$$$$ |

Given this example I am trying to hide the detail columns for FY2001, thus only showing the Totals column for Fy2001. My customer wants to see the detail for Fy2002, but only the totals for Fy2001.

Does anyone know of a method to accomplish this? Any help, pointers or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Byron

The closest you could come in a real cross-tab is to combine the 2 detail columns into 1, but you would still get a total column for that year, which means 2 identical columns for that year. To do this would require a formula for the second row field that said:

If year = 2001
then "Prog"
else {Program Field}

But, I think you are going to need a manual cross-tab to do what you are looking for. They are described in faq149-243. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

You might try using two crosstabs. One for fy2002 and one for fy2001. In the fy2001 crosstab, suppress everything but the total column. I have one report with 6 crosstabs showing different aspects of the same data (some with details, some with just totals). Formatting this will take some time. You've got to make sure that the cell heights in each crosstab are the same. etc.

It's a pain to edit and format, but it fits the clients report requirements (and they're HAPPY :-D

BRoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back