Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing background thread229-730718 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

11design

Technical User
May 27, 2005
US
I tried to search for a solution for my problem and I found part of it in the thread229-730718. The point is that I am working with logos and some of them have the white color inside that I want to keep. I tried to mask which was wonderful (the last advice) but when I placed the image in my InDesign file it came out completely blurry. I didn't change resolution, nothing. I just opened the original logo in monotone and applied the color range. The only different thing I did was choosing the quick mask from the one of the options of the color range and then pressing OK. After that I used the magic eraser tool yo delete the whites I wanted. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Maybe there is a good FAQ in the InDesign forum to answer this.

faq818-4316

No. That doesn't help. I knew this option. Seems that this is not the problem. I tried both ways before asking the first thread. That's why I thought the problem was when working in Photoshop.

Now I decided to look step by step to find out where could be the mistake. I realized that I forgot to duplicate the layer of the logo. I tried to do everything over again and it worked. Now my question is: Why having a duplicate layer makes so much difference? At least this is what happened. I'll try to do with all the logos I still have to work on to see if works with them as well.

Not that lucky. Only the first one worked well. Now I really don't know what happened and even don't know where to start looking for the solution. Any help would be greately appreciated.

What resolution are you working with?

Why aren't you designing logos in a vector illustration program?

I am working with 72 dpi RGB. When saving the file I save in 300dpi CMYK. I am working with Photoshop 7.0 PC.

You cannot do that. The ONLY way you can go from 72 dpi to 300 is if the original is physically huge – say about 24 in X 12 in – and you’re reducing it way down to about 2 in X 1 in. Even with that your chances of getting good print are weak.

The only way to properly do this is to make paths in photoshop and export them to vectors – like Illustrator. Logos are usually quite simple. It is not hard to use the magic wand to make a selection and create a path from that in photoshop. Make as many paths as you need, and export them to Illustrator. Then select the paths and fill in the colors. By default the background is transparent. After that, you can outline the fonts, save as EPS with vectors set to 100%. The thing can then be simp[y made bigger, smaller, whatever with no loss of detail becaue vectors are not resolution dependent.. We do this all the time. It is not hard, nor is it terribly time consuming.

The following web page is an example. The work was ordered at 10AM Thursday and delivered at 10:20 AM. That time frame is average and common. We do this for the client on a very regular basis, fonts outlined if necessary, in eps format It is the logo behind the people.

In this we got a scan of the logo from letterhead in jpeg format, about 1.5 in X 1.5 in black print on white – very common. Opened in PS selected black with magic wand, selected similar, created paths, and exported to Illustrator. In AI select all and fill with some silly color like yellow. Draw a big black box and place it behind the yellow. Then start knocking our all extra yellow fills – like the interior of letters like O or A. When that’s done, change the yellow swatch to white (in this case). For using other colors, simply select whatever you need and fill those selection with appropriate color.

In this case the client requires these things in about 6 in X 6 in. We use Transform to blow it up, save as eps and send it on its way. Again, takes about 20 minutes. As you can see the logo is then blown up bigger and printed.at about 20 in X 20 in. It is also displayed on the outdoor screen at about 8 ft X 8 ft. Since it’s in vectors the size is irrelevant.

In some case the text in the raster is so bad that it's unusable. In that case we simply redo it. In the aforementined example we just used the paths for the interior symbols, exported to AI, and filled. Then just drew a circle and used the type on path tool to recreate the text in the appropriate font. Outline text, save as eps and send to client. It might sound complicated but it is not. Once you get the hang of it, it's very quick.

By the way, any colors visible in the logo on the web page are simply the result of lighting. It is white.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Great. I'll try it. Just one question to confirm. Actually I did my whole job in InDesign and placing the logos in a white box. Then I felt going with the client the job wouldn't be as neat as I wanted. My dumb question. As I understood I'll get the same results I would have in Ilustrator working in InDesign? I still have have more things to do for them and didn't want to start over again. And thanks again. You explained very well everything!!

No you want illustrator. Photoshop has direct export of paths to illustrator - giving a ".AI" file. Illustrator has far gratere controls and abilities in this area than ID.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

So the best way to go is working on Ilustrator,saving and placing in InDesign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back