Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing and Old Domain from Network Neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
We removed and OLD server and it's domain of course.<br>
But some PC's mostly NT Workstations and other member servers still have the domain showing in Windows Explorer.<br>
When you click down on network neighborhood, Entire Network, Microsoft Network.<br>
I think the domain was trusted at one time too.<br>
Any Ideas on how to remove it once and for all.<br>
<br>
TIA

How long did you give it to go away? Even in a local network it can take up to 51 minutes for the browse lists to update and if you have WAN links that could be longer. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

can't ya just reconfigure the computer browser service and take out the option to browse that domain ? I would think that would take care of it.<br>
<br>
control panel, network, services tab, computer browser, properties<br>
<br>

1 year - Yikes!!!<br>
<br>
Do you have any Win95 stations that don't have browse mastering disabled? <br>
<br>
Also, if you have any Win95 at all, check the workgroup setting on them. Even if you are doing domain logons, if you have the old domain name in the workgroup setting on them it will show up in the browse list and look just like another domain. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

david902 on which computer the server?<br>
It shows up on all of them<br>
<br>
MasterRacker No '95 clients we have 3 '98's and 22 NT workstations and 4 NT servers<br>
1 PDC, 1 BDC, 1 member, & 1 PDC on a separate domain<br>
the domains are trusted both ways<br>
<br>
All '98's have the &quot;sbsdomain&quot; as both the workgroup and the &quot;Logon on to domain&quot;<br>
I think this is a Trust Issue.<br>
<br>
the '98 boxes are new after the old domain was removed<br>
But it shows up on any computer NT or '98<br>
Server or whatever<br>

My guess is still that something, somewhere is broadcasting a resource under the old domain name. Or maybe it's coming out of WINS somehow?<br>
<br>
The only other thing I can suggest at this time is brutal. Go to every workstation and server and search (and destroy) on the registry for instances of the old domain name. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Ok MasterRacker sounds like a plan.<br>
thanks for your help<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back