Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing a user from a group doesn't remove them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellboy

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2001
GB

This is a little bit strange. A user has left the company and so I have changed the Primary NT account so that no one other than the admin can log in. I have also removed the user from all groups they were in, removing the user from the groups was done through the 'Distribution Lists' tab on the properties page of the user. I have also checked that the user no longer resides in the groups by checking the groups, the username is not there.

If you send an e-mail to GroupSales for instance the mail will arrive in the users mailbox, even though the user has been removed from GroupSales and there is no trace of them. When typing in GroupSales through Outlook and clicking properties of GroupSales the users name is not there and yet the mail will arrive in the users mailbox.

I am a little lost, the user is not included in the group in any way shape or form and yet they are receiving mail. Do I need to restart a service or manually update something?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

How long have you left Exchange for after removing the user from the DL's. Exchange has a habit of not synchronizing it's databases immediately after a change..

I would suggest its atleast 5-6 days, so I would expect a sync to have taken place by now! or am I asking too much :)

Does this only happen with this particular DL? If you send a mail to one of the other DL's that you removed this guy from, does he get the mail?

I would imagine it somehow has something to do with the Administrator being the Primary NT Account. As something to try, add a user called "Test" in User Manager but don't add the exchange mailbox. Then change the Primary NT Account in Exchange Properties to be "Test" to isolate if it has something to do with the Administrator.

(Just a thought)

Brontosaurus - the same problem exists on 3 DL's that user was/is on

zoeythecat - testing this at the moment

Cheers for the responses :)

I have to ask this, so don't get upset...Is this guy's mailbox hidden right now? If so, un-hide it and check those DL memberships again...

Brontosaurus - Good point.

Dellboy - Also, something else to check. Open up the Distribution list properties and just verify the members from here versus the user properties.

Brontosaurus - no offence taken, he's not hidden though I am afraid.

zoeythecat - checked on both ends, the user doesn't have access to the DL through 'Distribution Lists' tab on the properties of the mailbox or DLs themselves.

.....having tried the previous suggestion of 'zoeythecat' changing the default NT account, this may have resolved the problem as when I now log in with the default test account and attach to the mail box the user does not receieve mail sent to the DLs

To summarise it would appear that initially changing the default NT account on the mailbox from the user account to the Admin will still deliver the mail to the DL's even though the user no longer has access. Changing the default NT account to another user stops delivery of mail to the DLs.......if that makes any sense whatsoever

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back