Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing a roaming profile... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilman0

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
US
I have a few xp machines that have profiles left on them after i applied the option in group policy not to save policies on the local machine. I try to remove the users by right clicking on my computer and going that route loged in as an admin, both global, and local, but the delete button is greyed out for the users in question. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]
"Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot." ~bumper sticker

Just delete the folders from under \Documents and Settings?

Use the profile editor under system properties, Advanced.

Tried deleting the user's folders, can't delete ntuser.dat, or a couple of files. I tried taking ownership, and setting security to point to me, but to no avail, once i try deleteing the folder, almost instantly, the files start comming back.

In the profile editor under system properties, advanced, when i click on the account in question, the delete box is greyed out. When i tried both ways, i am logged in as admin, both local, and domain.

any other thoughts?

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

Try deleting the files over the network with the machine not actually logged on to a user (ie, reboot it and don't log it on).

That was the trick thanks.

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

i was able to delete the folders, however, they keep on comming back, is their a registry setting or something?

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

Do you mean users logging on, and profiles being saved again? (ie, 'don't save' policy apparently not working) - or just reappearing on their own - without users logging back on?

i was able to delete the folders, however, they keep on comming back, is their a registry setting or something?

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

i was able to delete the folders, next time a different user was logging on, all the other users folders would come back, including his own (which that should happen). It is only doing this on the xp machines, 2k i was able to delete the user profiles through the system screen. Going to try a different route. Will let you know.... Roaming profiles is a tricky thing.

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

huh, now it makes a folder called &quot;temp&quot; and copies files to that, logon is still slow for a profile <2mb? Dns is ok. Can't figure out why it is doing this (coping files over for users whom haven't logged on) also it has an error when trying to copy protected user's files (says access denied)? Any thoughts as to why it is doing this, and should i just get rid of roaming profiles all together?

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]
&quot;Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.&quot; ~bumper sticker

James - I've never seen that behaviour with roaming profiles - but my experience administering 2k server domains is limited (more on NT server - but still haven't seen that). You might get more joy posting question in the NT or 2k server forum (depending which you are using).

Do you need the functionality of roaming profiles? Otherwise, getting rid might be best option (though you'll just get lots of local profile folders on the machine then!). I presume you're trying to limit space taken up by these folders?

Makes it eaisery for me to set up the users settings, email, program options, etc. using roaming profiles. We play musical computers here a lot.

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]
&quot;Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.&quot; ~bumper sticker

If it is a space issue, you can omit some of the folders from the roaming profile (eg, My Documents - use a shared area on the server instead) - as not saving local copies is giving this odd behaviour.

Devil, if you have a log on script you may have to actually alter the script and delete it from there.

Can't delete ntuser.dat, so a script doesn't work, found an entrie for a scheduled task, changed it, now going to *try* to delete the &quot;temp&quot; folder windows keeps sticking there.

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

I know this is an old thread, but.....

When you are setting the profile path, what is it?

\\profile_server\profile_folder ?

or

\\profile_server\profile_folder\user_folder ?

If it is the first in line, then, you are saving all of the profiles to the same folder, therefor they are ALL included when you login and logoff. The PC that a user is logging into will still be able to determine which folder is the correct one, but will at the same time, have to take them all....

Just a shot in the dark.......

I did \\<servername>\<username>profile where <servername> was the name of the server, and <username> was the name of the user (i have their separate docs located in a share \\<servername\<username>) This did work for me, however, the problem i ran into, if i set it to delete the profile on the workstations, some (mine, and two others) would kill the network with loading the profiles. After much reading, i deemed remote profiles good for some situations, but not mine where the profiles can be quite large.

A shot in the dark, is still a shot in the right direction.

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back