Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing a DC after a failed demotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astros

MIS
Dec 30, 2005
US
I inherited a network that has a DC still showing up in AD that no longer exists, the hardware that the DC was on isn't even here anymore. I know that I can use NTDS util to help remove the DC, but haven't ever tried it before. Any advice on successfully cleaning this up is appreciated. Can I just delete the DC from AD Sites and Servers or do I need to run NTDS first?

Make sure too, that when you're sifting through the DNS as mentioned in the KB article, that you remove any records indicating it's (the failed server) a GC.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I've had to do this during DR testing and used the metadata cleanup process.

I don't know if it's different in W2K to 2003 but try the one that wdoellefeld recommends in the link to KB article 216498 above.

It was pretty straightforward and I have seen no errors after performing this in multiple DR tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back