Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing 4.83 client

Status
Not open for further replies.

anticore

Technical User
Aug 26, 2001
HK
Hi all,
I am trying to remove the 4.83 client to revert back to NT client as we are moving to Active Directory. However, the problem is that after installing 4.83 initially with Remote Managment the client removal fails. On restart, the machine BSODs and restarts itself. On start in Safe Mode the 4.83 client can be reinstalled and everything back to normal, but we are unable to remove it cleanly and get back to the NT client.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Regards,,,

Novell came out with a patch for the nt client yesterday. Try patching the install files that you have and running the uninstall in safe mode. If that doesn't work, I would try installing the patched version then uninstalling it.

My comiserations on moving to Active Directory - may your living hell begin then.

How are you trying to remove the client? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

TheLad:::>
Tried to remove tha client many different ways..
1 uninstall everything Novel from Network connection properties
2 running a batch file with /u switches on setupw2k.exe
3 unchecking Novell components 1 at a time under Network connections
It only seems to fall over with Remote Management however. If Novell applications are removed one at a time, the machine is fine until Remote Management is removed, then it boots to a BSOD..have tried only removing Remote Management and it boots to a BSOD...
Vining:::>
I have tried removing the client with th nt483pt2 patch and that did not work either...if thats the patch you mean

Thanx for replying...
Regards,.,.,

I have recently expierienced the same issue with Novell Client 4.81. We discovered that client 4.81 was causing ppp errors through our nortel vpn software.

Originally, removing and reinstalling the nortel software didnt permanently fix the ppp from coming back. It was then that we discovered that the client 4.81 was corrupting the ip stack and shortly there after 4.83 was released.

While I havent had issues removing 4.83, 4.81 was a bear and we received many bsods in the process.

A few of the things that helped in removing the 4.81 software was to remove all ip software utilities that loaded at startup and in the run keys in the registry. Chat Clients and Palm devices especially.

Next, we removed everything but the microsoft client from network properties, first removing novell, then any and all leftover novell utilities, and finally tcp/ip itself. When prompted to reboot after each of these removals, be sure to say no, remove everything at one shot and also say "no" to the prompt "you must have one protocol enabled for this connection" (pretty sure thats what it says, but it is something like that).

Finally, be sure to check the winlogin key and make sure that the ginadll = nwgina.dll is removed from the winlogin key. The key is in hklm software\microsoft\windowsnt\currentversion\winlogin.

After these steps, we were able to boot back into windows without problems.

Dont know if the same will work for 4.83, but goodluck..jt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back