Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Removing 2 G650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoneman2

MIS
May 7, 1999
US
I am removing 2 G650 from a rack of 5.

Units B and E are empty and we had hopes of removing them.
Leaving us with A,C,D.

I have been now told we can not remove B, due to the TDM cable and the termimator on the end of E.

I would perfer not to move everything to B from D.
Leaving us with A,B,C and remove D&E

Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

if you want to remove 2 cabinets, you will have to move the equipment in D to B. then remove cabinet D & E. that could possibly be a lot of work to move cards and all the associated programming.
the removing of the TDM bus cable and putting the terminator on C is the easy part (with the exception of those darn ferites around the cabinet backplane-to-amphenol wires). don't bend a backplane pin!

You cannot remove a G650 "in the middle" of the stack, due to the TDM cables being of fixed length, only enough to go from 1 G650 directly above or below it.

However, the G650 cabinets do have "paddle" board on the backplane (remove the rear fan to see it), these let you select the cabinet letter, A,B,C,D,E.

You can TRY (as an experiment), removing the paddle boards from your B & E cabinets. If this works, then you should be able to physically remove the 2 empty cabinets, leaving the paddle boards set to the A,C and D address's and it should be fine. To actually do this, you will have to power off all G650's, unwire and remove the unused cabinets, then recable and power back up.

FYI, if you have a high reliability system with dual IPSIs (IPSI in 01A01 and 01B01), you can't remove the "B" cabinet. It must be A and B that the IPSIs are located in.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back