Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

removeMovieClip problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

quaker93

Technical User
Jun 28, 2006
US

I have a scene where I am creating instance of a movie clip using duplicateMovieClip adding more and more on each successive frame up to 10. I have the following actionScript code in each frame 1-10:

var ln:Number;
var duplicate:MovieClip;
var i:Number;
var newY:Number;
var newX:Number;
var rot:Number;
var starter:Number;
ln = 10*_currentFrame;
starter = (_currentFrame-1)*ln+1;
for(i = starter; i < (ln+starter); i++) {
newY = _level0.beachy._x - Math.random()*(_currentFrame/10*_level0.beachy._height*1.2);
newX = _level0.beachy._y + Math.random()*_currentFrame/10*_level0.beachy._width;
rot = 60*(Math.random()-.5);
duplicate = this.attachMovie("star",'clip-' + i, i, {_y:newY, _x:newX, _rotation:rot});
trace(_currentFrame + " " + starter);
trace(duplicate); // _level0.clip-[number]
}

At frame 11 I would like to use removeMovieClip to get rid of them in the same order they were created. Currently I have this at each frame 11-20:

var ln:Number;
var i:Number;
var newY:Number;
var newX:Number;
var rot:Number;
var starter:Number;
var newFrame:Number;
newFrame = _currentFrame-10;
ln = 10*newFrame;
starter = (newFrame-1)*ln+1;

for(i = starter; i < (ln+starter); i++) {
removeMovieClip("clip"+i);
}

I have tried just about every syntax of removeMovieClip that I could find on the forums and nothing seems to work. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back