Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove weekends in the Date Diff function 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syerston

Programmer
Jun 2, 2001
GB
How do you add functionality to the Date Diff function to remove weekends from the total. I have tried adding "w" as the interval (for weekdays), but it only returns weeks. John

this is a huge pain and im ammazed microsoft hasnt sorted out a function to do this. I have sorted a method to do it but it is a little crude.

This method tales away 2 days for every 7 days that have passed. This isnt entirely acurate but depends on how strict u need it to be.

(datediff(dateA,dateB)- (cint(datediff(dateA,dateB)/7)*2))

The only other way i know you can do it is to put a string together that counts up all the mondays between the dates and then adds all the tuesday weds etc etc

Hope this helps

This has been done in the MS Access Handbook
here is the code I use

Function OpenworkDays(OpenDate, Optional CloseDate) As Integer

Dim OpDate As Date
Dim ClDate As Date
Dim i As Date 'counter
Dim WrkDays As Integer

If Not IsDate(OpenDate) Then
MsgBox "Valid opendate not supplied"
Exit Function
Else
OpDate = CVDate(OpenDate)
End If

If (IsMissing(CloseDate) Or Not IsDate(CloseDate)) Then CloseDate = Date

ClDate = CVDate(CloseDate)
WrkDays = 0 'initialize for working days

For i = OpDate To ClDate
If WeekDay(i) <> 1 And WeekDay(i) <> 7 Then
WrkDays = WrkDays + 1

End If
Next

OpenworkDays = WrkDays

End Function

Please note this function will break on nulls so you may have to use NZ or another work around.

For all, come see the fab faq181-291 and be overjoyied at the muse of simplicity. All the above just cause more trouble, as no sooner than you do the half-hacked ver than the POWERS THAT BE will be back with the HOLIDAYS - as the next question!

Why not do it all?

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Mike,
either I have suddenly gone down with dyslexia or stupidity or you have posted the wrong faq link. Regards,
Graham

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

well, at least ONE of us has, try faq181-261 perhaps I got my head (and eyes) on straight this morning?

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Phew ! It's not me.
B-)
Thanks, nice bit of code. Regards,
Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back