Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove water from conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

568B

Vendor
Oct 13, 2006
US
I have a 150' of 4" buried conduit from one building to another. This pipe has water in it, but is not completely fill to the top inside the pipe. We tried vacuuming out the water and hear gurgling but since the pipe is not completely filled to the top with water, the suction air just passes through. Anyone have any ideas on removing the water so we at least install a pull line?

Your solution depends on your resources to a large extent. If you have a high volume air compressor, or the building has air lines near by, you can reduce the 4" to a 1/2" or 3/4" air line and let it rip (just be sure the other end of the conduit is rigged to let water jet out and flow out.

No air, or the other end is in a finished room, then use something like this:

Run a garden hose on a stiff snake 20 or 30 feet into the conduit, at the lowest or the ends, prime the pump, and off you go. This will not dry the line, but you will bet most of the water out. From there, a long run with your shop vac on blow will move air through the conduit and dry it, though it may take a day or two to get it really dry.

Some try to put a rag of nerf ball or sponge on a line and pull it through, but if you do not know how the joints were made up and how many bends there are, you can get hung up very easily and create a solid obstruction.

At any rate, this has worked for me.

By the way, I think you will have about 75 to 100 gallons of water to deal with, depending on how full it is.

You also need to figure out how it got water in it to start with and fix that issue before you install cable.

It is VERY common for underground conduits to fill with water - from leaks or from condensation. Do you really need to remove it as it will likely fill again? At 150', you may be able to send a long fish tape thru and pull whatever you need.

This is why one should always use duct-rated cable in an underground conduit, as PVC jacketed cable isn't made to be submerged.
Mike

There are existing cables in the pipe with a pull string HOWEVER the string is twisted around the cables. I wanted to get the water out so I could install a new pull string. We tried with a vacuum and plastic bag but it keeps getting bogged down in the water. I may try to snake it with a tennis ball at the end so the new pull string will ride over the existing cables. And yes the new fiber is burial rated cable. I may try the previous suggestion with a pump.

Personally, i think I would fish it and pull it in. The cable will be OK being wet. That will also make it easier to pull. Here in Louisiana if it's in the ground. It's wet...

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

As folks say, there will allways be water/moisture in there.
But if it really bothers you.
Put a pull string in and pull in a rubber hose(or ice maker line from Lowes) halfway or to the lowest point and attached to a shop vac. Pull it back an forth until it gets as much as it can. Use duct tape to attach to vac. Shop vac is standard issue for me, I sometimes have to fish conduit with many 90's and I use it to suck a beany bag with pull string through vs the fish tape. Just an FYI could help you one day.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Thanks to all. I was able to vacuum a string in without removing the water. Some water did get pulled out with the plastic bag. Greased up the burial fiber and pulled it in effortlessly with very little tension.

I hope you mean wire pulling lubricant when you say greased !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back