Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove Wallpaper when System Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmpuk

Technical User
Nov 19, 2001
GB

Anyone have any idea how to remove the wallpaper when the system is locked? I can't find anything out about this whatsoever!

Thanks.

A few more details by way of an explanation of what you are trying to achieve, what problems you have encountered, and what you mean by "locked" may help here.

Something to check.

"The Prevent changing wallpaper Group Policy prevents users from changing the desktop wallpaper by using Display Properties."

You Can Change Desktop Wallpaper Setting After Administrator Selects "Prevent Changing Wallpaper" Option in Group Policy.

Hi

To clarify...

By "locked" I mean when you CTRL-ALT-DEL and select "Lock Workstation", or when the screensaver cuts in and is password protected.

At the moment, the wallpaper is visible when you return to the workstation, behind the "Press CTRL-ALT-DEL message to unlock".

What I want to do is have a black background at this point, and the system to only display the wallpaper when the system is unlocked (by entering the correct password).

To be doubly clear, when the system boots, I have set the wallpaper to only display *after* logging on. Now I want it to be similarly not displayed when the PC is locked.

Hope that clears it up, and thanks for any ideas!

So what you want is to have the normal first logon background displayed (a black background) when the machine is "locked" and your normal (desktop) background picture when it is not?

"I have set the wallpaper to only display *after* logging on." Isn't this the default, what have you "set"?

Does it make any difference if you use "control userpasswords2" in the start run box, click the advance tab in the resulting window and down at the bottom in "secure logon", check the box there which specifies that users be required to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE in order to log on to the computer.

Pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE before logging on guarantees that the real Windows logon prompt appears.

I don't think the above will make any difference to your background, this might be a "by design" sort of thing. Hope I am wrong and someone else can come up with something.

Thanks for your reply. Your first sentence is exactly what I am after.

Sadly your idea doesn't help, as I have already ensured that users must press CRTL+ALT+DEL before logging on.

I think you might be right in that this is a "by design" sort of thing, but I have seen software advertised which claims to do this.

Would certainly be interested to hear any thoughts.

Thanks again for your help!

There is no provision in the Registry for a wallpaper state during a locked workstation.

You would have to use a third party software that essentially took the lock workstation feature and hooked it to have a full screen display in place of the default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back