Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove subdomain from DC on Server 2008 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2010
US
I am trying to drop the sub-domain on my DC, however, can't successfully find a solution in doing so. (i.e. server.google.com) - I want to drop the "server" and keep the latter. I am running Server 2008 R2 and Exchange Server 2007 -- so this change needs to update Exchange. Any tips / ideas / suggestions?

Looking forward to your responses!

Thanks!
MASolutions

So you're trying to move all resources from a child domain, such as child.domain.com, to the parent domain, domain.com?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

That's a complete project that will require a fair amount of planning. It's not a simple flip of the switch. My suggestion is to bring in a consultant who specializes in domain migrations.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Thanks Pat. In that case... how can we go about configuring exchange to send/receive with the parent domain only. (I.e. when we send an email, it shows the child.domain.com) -- Do I need to make a chance in the DNS settings under our webhost (GoDaddy), in addition to making changes in the exchange settings?

So, your outbound email messages are being sent as user@child.domain.com?

If that's the case, I'd need to know what version of Exchange you're using. If it's 2007 or 2010, look at your email address policies. Make a change there, set it as the default, and let it stamp the accounts with the correct address.

Pat Richard MVP

Correct.

I am using Exchange 2007 -- I will check the policies. However, I won't need to make changes from my webhost? (Point domain.com to the exchanger server IP?)

MX records for domain.com would need to point to your public IP in order to be delivered to your Exchange server.

You also need to make sure the domain name appears in your accepted domains list.

Pat Richard MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back