Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove Special Characters 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

V00D00

Technical User
Jul 11, 2005
US
Hello,

I am looking for a way to remove special characters from a sheet. These special characters being the '*' and '?'. Using the normal code for find/replace does not have the effect I am looking for, it removes and replaces all characters.

Any help would be appreciated.

I was hoping for something in VBA. Is it possible to use the unicode representation of a character for replace code? If so, do you have a example so I can learn the formating?

You could use something like this:
Code:
Sub EliminateAsterisks()
For Each cell In Selection
    cell.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Substitute(cell, "*", "")
Next cell
End Sub

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

No unicode needed. But let me reiterate, GET ASAP UTILITIES. If you want to do stuff like this in about 4 seconds or less, you'll make the download.

Regards,
Zack Barresse

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. What is a MS MVP? PODA
- Leonardo da Vinci

Thank you for your help. Although the ASAP utilities perform this function, it requires human intelligence to operate. I am looking for a code only option.

I did a little more research and was able to do a regular find and replace of the '*' character by just preceding it with a '~'. So the code looks like:

Code:
Selection.Replace What:="~*", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _
        SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _
        ReplaceFormat:=False

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back