Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove space from text

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acipenser

Technical User
Oct 15, 2001
US
Depending on the value of a combo box, I want to open one of a few different forms. I have a case function set up to do this, but the problem is that the combo box value is a text string with a space in it. It appears that the case function will not work due to the space.

What I would like to do is temporarily remove the space in the value of the combo box so that the case function works properly. Any suggestions?

The space should not be a problem. For example:
[tt]Private Sub cboCombo_AfterUpdate()
Select Case Me.cboCombo
Case "with space"
MsgBox "With space"
Case "NoSpace"
MsgBox "NoSpace"
Case Else
MsgBox "Whatever"
End Select
End Sub[/tt]

You can permanently or temporarily remove any character with Replace, but I do not think that is the problem.

Which case function ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I thought trim would remove leading and trailing spaces. I am interested in removing a space within a single field.

For example:
Value = Red Hat
I want:
Value1 = RedHat

I don't think trim will do that.

[tt]strValue1 = Replace(strValue, " ", "")[/tt]

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Remou - I tried that and it does not work with the space. When I remove the space, it does.

PHV - I tried that and it does not work either.

Here is a copy of the code in the OnClick Event to open the form. This works if Me.Species is Scaphirhynchusalbus, but not if Scaphirhynchus albus:
Dim stDocName As String
Dim SpeciesSelect As String

SpeciesSelect = Replace(Me.Species, " ", "")

Select Case SpeciesSelect
Case "Scaphirhynchusalbus"
stDocName = "frmSampleViewPallid"
Case Else
stDocName = "frmSampleView"
End Select

DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName

What am I doing wrong?

As I mentioned, I do not think it is the space that is causing the problem. What happens when you say (?):
[tt]MsgBox "Selected: " & SpeciesSelect[/tt]
I suspect that SpeciesSelect contains either nothing or a number.

Just to be sure, have you checked that:
[tt]DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName "frmSampleViewPallid"[/tt]
works ok?

Remou,

I tried the MsgBox and SpeciesSelect is showing the still has the space in the string (Schaphirhynchus albus). So obviously the replace is not working correctly. Thanks for the MsgBox tip. I would not have thought of that.

Well I got it working. It must have been a typo, although I could not find it. I went back and copied and pasted the species name from the table into the code, and it is now working fine!!

You were right from the beginning. Thanks. I checked the spelling a few times. I don't no what I missed!!

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back