Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove second harddisk causes boot failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick99

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
HK
Configuration: XP Prof with SP2, 2 harddisks.

After removing the second harddisk which has a logical partition for storage purpose only, the system can't boot.

What should I do? Thanks.

I've learned to go into device manager and uninstall the second hard drive first. This has happened to me a couple of times.

Do you still have the drive that you can put back in the machine temporarily?

Try clearing CMOS or better go to the STANDARD CMOS SETUP page where the Drive Recognition is done and disable the HDD in question or set the option to AUTOMATIC...

Windows should still boot, but the BIOS may think that there is a fault and halts all booting...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

In what way 'can't boot'? What happens?

Did you have the pagefile set up on second drive?

Hi,

I had same problem when I wanted to replace the second drive with a 200GB one. 1 IDE drive and 1 SATA drive the I don't know if this helped cause the issue. Turns out that the boot info was on the second drive ntdetect...ect. ect. even though XP was on the c: drive.

Put second drive back in and check the root to see if those files are there. I ended up doing a fresh install with only one drive in and then put in new replacement drive.

If this is your problem perhaps someone here can help you keep from doing the fresh install. Sorry if this turns out to be of no help.

Good Luck.
Ed

Have a look at the FixBoot, FixMbr and Bootcfg commands.

A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

Try running ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console too.

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

This is an old thread, but I got into the same fix..I'm working on your ideas. I also have Boot disk failure adn cannot get into windows so am limited to the tips above. but working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back