Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove Run from Start Menu BUT allow UNC access

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCDugas

MIS
Dec 26, 2001
US
Anyone figured out how to remove the Run Start Menu option without breaking UNC access?

Have you tried removing this using a Group Policy?

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........I just haven't found out what it is yet!

[yinyang]

Yes and it disables users from accessing UNC paths.

What about if you create a shortcut on the Desktop to the UNC path? UNC paths still work this way and in applications like Excel and Access with Run removed from the Start Menu in our environment

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

I understand that it is possible to prevent users from launching executables using GPO.

With this in mind could you prevent users from launching the run executable?

I'm not sure what that .exe would be named however I have had success in preventing certain clients from launching IE with this method.

TheLad - You are correct. This does work. I, however, have an application that was set to a UNC path which does not work unless it's mapped to a drive letter or the Run menu option is available.

WestCoastKid - No sure.

At the moment I need to use UNCs so the Run command is still available.

Am I right in saying that once you have authenticated to the server (whether by mapping a drive or UNC via the Run command) then the application works? If that is the case then isn't it just a problem with the application performing the initial authentication to your server?

"It's true, its damn true!"

WestCoastKid - The RUN dialog box is part of the "explorer.exe" so i don't think you could limit it by exe name.

JC - If you app will work when it has a mapped drive why not just provide it with one? (I am sure there is a good reason why not but just trying to get the bigger picture).

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........I just haven't found out what it is yet!

[yinyang]

Thanks Mike. Just thinking of other situations where I'd want users to access information via a UNC. Just doesn't make sense to disable UNC browsing...

I know what you mean and it can be a little annoying but the two do fit together quite logically and the open to type a UNC path to an undesireable exe is always an open risk.

Mike

[yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back