Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove Returns NOT working 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzapuca

Technical User
Dec 29, 2004
AR
Hi guys,

Somebody sent me a text with a guess are called "hard returns" at the end of the line. Here is an image sample.

I google a way to replace them all and i got this:

1 On the Edit menu, click Find or Replace.

2 If you don't see the Special button, click More.

3 Click Special, and then click the item you want.

You can also type a code for the item directly in the Find what box.

Paragraph mark ^p

4 If you want to replace the item, enter what you want to use as a replacement in the Replace with box. Leave this box empty to simply remove all the paragraph marks.

5 Click Find Next, Replace, or All.

6 Click Close to close the Find and Replace dialog box.

Nevertheless, after the procedure nothing happens. Are those signs really called "hard returns"? What am i doing wrong then?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Sebs

Those actually look like soft returns (created by SHIFT+Enter). Hard returns would be a paragraph marker. Try using ^l (that is, ^ followed by lowercase L) instead of ^p.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Thanks cmeagan656. Indeed i did a deeper google search and i found out that a right-angle arrow pointing to the left is also called line break.

By the way, would you know where to find a complete list of Word non printing characters? I did a google search but cannot see to find a clear list of those characters.

Thanks for the good info!

Cheers,
S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back