Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remove remembered offline folders from old user

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcneil1

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2002
US
I have a laptop (WinXP Pro) that is a member of a domain. The previous user had thier home drive available offline.
Now I have a new employee using the laptop (using a different profile) and I can't remove the 'remembered' offline folder of the previous user. Everytime I initiate a syncronize, in addition to the new users home drive it trys to sync the old offline folder too.

I have tried the following:

1) Removed the old users profile off the pc using the delete profile tool
2) Went to start/programs/accessories/syncronize and unchecked the unwanted folder on the main screen and in the 'settings' screen
3) Deleted the key containing the old folder under HCU/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/NETCACHE/SHARES

Everytime I reboot the reg key of #3 re-appears. Can anyone help me? A beer in it for you if you can!

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Usually this is what I do when I give a laptop or pc to someone else:
1. logon as old user
2. Delete the both offline files (temporary and always available)
3. Uncheck the offline file, reboot.
4. logon as new user and configure offline file

Dang, has no one worked around reformatting the HD on this one? We just changed IP of the file server and no way to delete it from trying to sync! I hate to dissolve offline files and re-sync as users have over 5G! Bummer is I know now to force all changes, have everyone turn off sync, then move server resync to it.

Now I think the secret is to call all drives by hostname and write a script to just edit everyone's host file as necessary. Everyone in the enterprise maps to \\fileserver4me\%username%$ and you just have to tweak the host file for the address of the local file server for their region.

Hi lwolfson,

Hold your left shift button when you press delete. It'll clear the cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back