Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remove poledit changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

soniar5

Programmer
Sep 20, 2000
US
I am polediting 28 new machines with win98. Upon trying to set different restrictions for users(eg. myself, no user, and admin), I accidentally locked the "no user" out totally. Is there a way to get around poledit to go in and undo changes.

Thank you

Can't you logon as Admin and use Poledit to remove the restrictions?
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

boot to a command prompt, replace the USER.DAT and USER.DA0 in the windows directory with copies from the c:\windows\profiles\[adminuser] where adminuser is the name of a user that has not been policy edited. If you are not set up for multiple accounts on the win98 machine, you can try grabbing a user.dat from a machine with a correct configuration, but the machine should be identical hardware/software config for best results. BTW the user.* files are all system and hidden, so in order to replace/rename/overwrite them you will have to use the attrib command as follows:

change into the directory where the files are
c:\attrib -s -r -h user.* [enter]

this will remove the system, read only, and hidden attributes.

David Moore
dm7941@sbc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back