Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove Outer Border from Table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhpen

Programmer
Nov 2, 2005
US
I have a WordXP table with multiple cells (separated). Is there a way to remove the outer border of the table so that just the separated cells show?

Thank You

Table, Table Properties, Borders and Shading, Custom.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Thanks for the replies,

By "separated" I mean that I selected under "table options" to "allow spacing between cells". It puts a gap between the cells allowing them to look like separate boxes.

xlhelp: I hope you will forgive my newbiness in not asking exactly the correct question. What you suggested works perfectly, however I guess my real question was can I remove just the outer "gridline" around the cells?

Thanks Again,

Yes you can remove the outer gridlines.

Highlight the entire table, then:

-Format
-Borders and Shading
-Under the "Borders" tab, on the right hand side, click on the buttons that control the border lines for left, right, top and bottom. The buttons toggle the borders on or off. The preview panel will show you when you have them off

Click OK and you are done.

Fumei,

I wish it were that easily found in the Word help file. Of course there were sections on gridlines and borders, but nothing that addressed what I was trying to accomplish (remove just the outer gridline box; not all the gridlines).

Help said:
Select the text, picture, or table you want to apply a border to.

If you want to apply a border to specific table cells, select the cells, including the end-of-cell mark.

On the Format menu, click Borders and Shading, and then click the Borders tab.

Select the options you want.

For Help on an option, click the question mark , and then click the option.

To specify that only particular sides get borders, click Custom under Setting. Under Preview, click the diagram's sides, or use the buttons to apply and remove borders.
Which is pretty much what Hasit suggested.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Fumei, I truly appreciate your help and the help of all responders; not just for this thread but for all the help they have provided over the years. You are right on in your comments and suggestions, as was Hasit. They work perfectly - for "borders". I was trying to remove the outer "gridline"; a horse of a different color. I could find nothing about doing this and was trying to find out if it was possible. I mistakenly confused everyone in my first post by using the word borders instead of gridlines. I corrected this in my first reply, but I can see where it could easily have been missed. I apologize for that.

Thanks again,

Oh sorry, my apologies back. True.

May I ask a question? Why do you want to remove the gridlines - as opposed to borders? Gridlines do not print.

BTW: Help on gridlines comes back with:
On the Table menu, click Show Gridlines or Hide Gridlines.

However, you seem to trying to hide specific gridlines, again, NOT borders. Yet you are using Borders to action this. Setting Borders (through Format > Borders) does not do anything to gridlines.

So again, my apologies, but I am confused. Oh well. As long as you are indeed getting things to be the way you want it.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

To tell you the truth, I was looking for a shortcut. I had a table all made and then when I set it to leave spacing between the cells I liked the way it looked, but I didn't want the outer gridline. Rather than composing a new document with separate textboxes, I thought maybe there was some way to just eliminate the outer gridline. I know the gridlines only show up in print view, but that was fine for my purpose. As it turns out, my client now likes the outer gridline box, so I no longer have to worry about that problem.

Thanks Again,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back