Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove Non Printing Characters at end of text field

Status
Not open for further replies.

raygunc

Programmer
Dec 29, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a field containing text. Some of the records have 'cr' characters (asc 10) at the end, others dont.

I want to remove them. As a start I've written a function to identify the affected records which works to a degree as follows:
Code:
Public Function stripCharacters(strAddress As String)
Dim strLastChar As String
Dim lngAscLastChar As Long
lngAscLastChar = Asc(strLastChar)

If lngAscLastChar = 10 Then
    stripCharacters = "CR"
Else
    stripCharacters = "None"
End If
End Function
This has been placed as a column in a query and succesfully identifies those with the offending character and those that don't. However when I tried to filter by entering "CR" in the criteria of this calculated column Access produces an error - "Run Time Error 5 - Invalid Procedure Call or Argument".

As not all the records need amending I need to identify them first, If I can't do this I'm stuck

Where am I going wrong, and is there an easy solution to my problem.

Try

Code:
Public Function stripCharacters(strAddress As String) As String

If Right(strAddress,1) = chr(10) Then
    stripCharacters = Left(strAddress, Len(strAddress) -1
Else
    stripCharacters = strAddress
End If
End Function

NB This checks ONLY for <CR> as the last character, nothing else

You don't need an UDF at all:
IIf([Address field] Like '*' & Chr(10), Left([Address field],Len([Address field])-1), [Address field])

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Thank you both for your help.

I used PHV's solution. It works a treat.

thanks again for your help

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back