Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove Missing Shortcuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbied69

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2006
GB
Was just wondering if someone can help me. When I create a new network user, they are given many shortcuts of programs that are not installed.

When I created a default user profile I did it on a machine which had a few programs that are not available on other computers here. I copied it to the netlogon share and copied all settings etc into the default user folder. So now whenever I create a new user they have loads of shortcuts, which are invalid.

What I was wondering is if there is a way to stop these appearing via a GPO or something. If someone can help me, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Not really, as shortcuts are only resolved when they are accessed, a shortcut is just a lnk file, so as long as the lnk isn't corrupt there are no errors generated.

You are best creating a new default profile that actually mirrors the setup you want to create. There is no point using an old one, only to try and fix the problems.

You can store both the original, and the new and as many as you want, and just assign which ever one you need as the default profile template when you need to create a new user.

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix Group Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back