Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove lock of the files

Status
Not open for further replies.

shwetagadgil

Programmer
Jul 6, 2005
IN
Hi All

The cvs server got stuck in between some operation and now, i am always getting a Lock error for the files.

How do I get rid of this issue?

try to use
Code:
cvs editors your_file
[\code]

to view, who has locked that file

the try to use ( if you are cvs administrator )
[code]
cvs unedit -u user_name your_file
[\code]

But sometime, it did not help, than you can do it manualy

Locate repository directory on the server,
locate file you want to unlock,
there may be 2 ( or more? ) possibilities

1. look at CVS sub-direcrory in directory where wanted file is, there should be file "fileattr"
I don't know version of CVS you are using but if that file is "TXT" file, than in that file should be one row containing name of your locked file,
than delete this row, 
or if this file is "XML" file, that delete everything between tags "<file name = your_file" and "</file>"

or

2. in directory where your file is, locate some file that 
   don't belongs to your project, it should has zero length and should has name like 'your_file_blah_blah_lock_blah_blah" or "CVS lock" or something like this,  than delete this file
   ( I have experienced with similar problems, but at this time I 
   can't remember the exact file name causing the lock )

Zhavic

---------------------------------------------------------------
[i]In the 1960s you needed the power of two Comodore64s to get a rocket to the moon. Now you need a machine which is a vast number of times more powerful just to run the most popular GUI.[/i]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back