Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove Invalid Registry Key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 1998
US
I have an ODBC key within my registry that gives an invalid key message. It is as if the security on the key is set to not allow changes, etc. (It is grayed out in regedt32.)

Is there a way to remove this key? I cannot remove it under administrative rights in either regedit or regedt32.

In regedt32, highlight the required key and select security/permissions....set as required...

I have already tried that and it will not change. Insufficient permissions exist to change the key even though I am logged on as domain administrator.

in user manager under policys and then go into each of the options and fiddle around in there to see if anything there helps, the one im going on about is the one where you can set which users can log on locally etc. just fiddle around and see if it helps, its the only way to learn!

Have u tried logging on as local admin.....????

Try setting the permissions at a higher level for the key....????....make sure the "Replace permissions on existing sub-keys" is set.....????

Just a thought....

Can you set permissions on other keys....????

I know its been a while since someone replied to this forum. But... I am haing the same problem. I am logged in as an admin. All the premissions are set correctly.
The Odbc Key in the registry is grayed out, and I don't have access to that key. I tired both regedt32 and regedit.
Any suggestions??

thanks for the help!

I had a weird problem installing software on a PC today, logging on as domain admin wouldn't give sufficient permissions....!!! Ended up having to recreate the PC account within the domain....??? I'm not sure if that will help but u never know....???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back