Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remove Internet Newsgroups from Public Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg1000

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2002
US
Does anyone know a way to remove the Internet Newsgroups from the Public Folder listing? I don't see any options for this in the System Manager under Public Folders. It is something that we will probably never use.

Thanks,
Matt

Ok, so I uninstalled NNTP under IIS but nothing has changed on the client. I did notice that the NNTP service went away. I guess I will see the changes after I do a reboot?

I wouldn't have done that...

Setup checks for NNTP. I would put it back and then "disable" it from Service. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Ok, I reinstalled the NNTP service and then disabled it. Should this process remove the actual Internet Newsgroups folder? Or just disable the use of it?

Thanks,
Matt

It disables NNTP.

The folder will still be there.

The GUI won't let you delete this folder. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Ok, thats what I needed to hear.

Thanks,
Matt

does any know of a third party utility that will let you remove this from the public folders list? I'm also looking for a way to remove folders such as journal from the folder list.

use adsiedit, but be carefull. try to backup that element and don't mess up too much. You may end up screwing your Active Directory and you definitly don't want that. You better do that on a test network and let it run untouched for a week at least. Check you event viewer tightly when you decide to do it.

best regards,
Paulo Rosa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back