Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remove games from the server

Status
Not open for further replies.

5jgibbs

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2005
US
is there a command i can setup that will go on the domain and remove all the games off the hard drives of the computers

just the default games such as freecell.exe

someting like del %systemroot%\system32\freecell.exe *.*

in a bat file that i can send and run on each computer?? im not sure.. but where i work we dont want the people playing games on the workstations, but they dont want to make changes in GP on the DC.. i think its dumb, so i am trying to come up with another solution.. any help would be great.. thanks

This can be done using group policies

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

he's right but it doesn't delete them. the can still do a search for them then run the exe. though most don't see it in all programs so thay assume they can't get to it.

i have the same problem, heck how do you delete them anyway? everytime i try to delete them on a local machine like magic they come back?

Trying to do alot with what little I know. Thank you

What I've done is remove the games using the Add/Remove Windows Components utility and then removed user access to the utility using GP.

if they are not visible in add/remove progs,
edit c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf and remove the reference to hide.

the games will appear now

Is there any reason you cant do it via group policy?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

You can do it somewhat through group policy:

User Config\Administrative Templates\System\Don't Run specified windows applications

This will prevent the user from running via a shortcut or explorer, but they would still be able to run the games from a command prompt (assuming you still give them access to the command prompt).

Thanks,
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back